Updated March 24, 2020, 3:20 p.m.
SMECO has taken the following steps to comply with best practices in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- As of 4 p.m., Friday, March 20, SMECO’s customer service counters will be closed. We have a number of free, easy ways for customer-members to pay their bills.
- To maintain the health and safety of our customer-members, SMECO suspended disconnecting customers for non-payment as of March 13, 2020. Members are encouraged to pay what they can to avoid a large bill later.
- Our work is vital to the community, but our employees’ health is also important, so we are reducing the number of employees who report to SMECO’s offices by having some personnel work remotely.
- Line workers and servicemen are working staggered shifts to maintain social distancing. Furthermore, employees who work in the field can start their workday without reporting to the office.
- We are suspending the use of compressed work schedules for all personnel in order to make sure we have staffing continuity and coverage.
- To reduce the number of employees congregating in one location, we have cancelled SMECO’s March safety meetings and postponed HR and first aid training sessions.
- We have suspended non-essential SMECO travel, and we are also discouraging non-essential personnel from entering our facilities.
SMECO encourages customer-members who can contribute to the Members Helping Members program to enroll. New participants are eligible for a reward!