COVID-19 Assistance

Are you currently out of work because of stay-at-home orders?

If your income has been affected by the pandemic, don’t wait. Ask our customer care representative about payment arrangements and information on where to apply for assistance. Many of our customer-members are facing financial difficulty, and we want to help lighten your load. By working together, we can help you get through these challenging times.

To apply for financial assistance, call the Office of Home Energy Programs at 1-800-332-6347 or visit

Can I visit my local department of social services office?

All local departments of social services (LDSS) offices were closed to the public effective noon, Wednesday, March 18, 2020. The LDSSs still have dedicated staff working diligently to process cases and address customers’ concerns. Most LDSSs have secured lockboxes available for customers to drop off documentation and or applications. If the LDSS can verify your identity and the information you provided is not questionable, SNAP benefits may be provided without an interview. You will have 90 days to submit all required documents. We are conducting interviews by telephone when possible for cash programs until further notice.

You can contact your LDSS by calling the DHS Call Center at 1-800-332-6347.

How do I apply for food, cash, medical, energy and emergency assistance?

For quicker processing, customers are strongly encouraged to submit food, cash, energy, emergency, and aged/blind/disabled medical assistance applications online via either the Department of Human Services (DHS) website or the MyDHR portal.

How can I check the status of the application or obtain case information?

For applications submitted online, you can check the status of your food, cash, energy, emergency, and aged/blind/disabled medical assistance applications submitted online on the MyDHR website.

Return to Bill Assistance Programs

COVID-19 Resources for Businesses

SMECO Energy Rates

Helpful Tips

SMECO Spotlights