Connecting Your New Home or Business

Connecting New Electric Service

If you are building a new home or facility and would like to get a head start on establishing new service, please review the information for the type of service you plan to install. A licensed electrician can help you determine the appropriate service type.

Here are the three service types covered on this page:

  • Residential 200 Amp (standard service)
  • Residential 350 Amp or greater
  • Commercial or Residential Developer

All customers should review the information below. For 350-amp service, commercial facilities, and residential developers, additional information is included at the bottom of the page.

Meter Bases:

Approved SMECO meter bases are available at your local electric supply house.

Applying for Service:

Apply early. We’ll need time to engineer your electric service, acquire right-of-way, and order equipment.

If you’re building a home, call SMECO’s service department as soon as the footers are in. Remember that the meter on your home must be located outside on the corner of the dwelling closest to where the electric service enters the property. Meters must be accessible to SMECO at all times, not located behind a fence or in a garage.

Customers who need standard residential 200-amp service can call SMECO at 1-888-440-3311.


The customer’s request for service will be considered as a grant of right-of-way for SMECO personnel to enter the customer’s property to install SMECO’s lines and equipment.

There should be a clear 10-foot wide area for the installation of underground facilities. This area must be cleared of any obstructions and be within six inches of final grade. The customer must not change the grade after SMECO’s facilities are installed. If underground lines or other SMECO facilities must be relocated because of grade changes, the customer will be liable for charges incurred.

Private Underground Obstructions:

Any private underground obstructions—water or sewer lines, etc.—must be identified. When SMECO installs lines, any damage caused to other unmarked or unexposed underground facilities will be repaired at the expense of the customer.


If SMECO’s service line or main power line will cross a customer’s driveway or other future paved area, SMECO will install PVC conduit under these areas. The customer will be charged for the conduit.

The customer will be responsible for any cost incurred to repair or relocate SMECO’s facilities in the event the customer paves the driveway or places any obstructions (such as fencing, etc.) in SMECO’s right-of-way.

Payment for Service:

The customer must pay the invoice for installation of service prior to installation.

Electrical Inspection:

The customer must obtain approval of the building wiring by a county-approved electrical inspector. This is a requirement of the Public Service Commission and is for the safety of the customer.

Your job will proceed when all customer responsibilities are met, payment is received, and infrastructure prerequisites are completed. Then, you can expect your connection within 15 working days.

Residential Service, 350 Amp or Greater:

In addition to the requirements listed above, you must complete the Electric Service Request Information Requirements and Form (PDF). Mail the form to the address on Page 1 of the document, or scan the form and send it by e-mail.

Commercial Facilities or Developers of Residential Properties:

In addition to the requirements listed above, you must review our Handbook. It provides detailed information and instructions on how to establish new electric service. The Electric Service Request Information Requirements and Form on pages 5 through 7 must be completed. Mail the form to the address listed in the document, or scan the form and send it by e-mail.

If you’re building a commercial establishment, call SMECO as soon as your plans have been approved by the planning and zoning officials.


The customer is responsible for installing conduit before and after the transformer for all new or revised commercial service requests.

SMECO Energy Rates

Helpful Tips

SMECO Spotlights