Heating and cooling may account for as much as 50% of your home’s energy use. We offer instant rebates on qualified heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment. When you upgrade to high-efficiency equipment, you save for years to come through reduced energy costs.
How It Works:
- Contact an authorized HVAC contractor
- Work with your authorized contractor to identify the best, energy efficient HVAC system for your home's unique needs.
- Choose your upgrades and have your contractor perform the installations.
- Your instant rebate will be reflected in your contract price.
Instant Savings on High-Efficiency HVAC Equipment:
|Equipment (AHRI Rated)||Efficiency Level|
|Smart Thermostat||Qualifying ENERGY STAR Certified Models*|
|ASHP Tier 1||≥ 16 SEER,** ≥ 13 EER,† ≥ 9 HSPF‡|
|ASHP Tier 2||≥ 18 SEER, ≥ 13 EER, ≥ 9.5 HSPF|
|CAC Tier 1||≥ 16 SEER and ≥ 13 EER|
|CAC Tier 2||≥ 18 SEER and ≥ 13 EER|
|Ductless Mini Split ASHP||≥ 18 SEER, ≥ 12.5 EER, ≥ 9.0 HSPF|
|Multi-Zone Ductless Mini Split ASHP||≥ 15.5 SEER, ≥ 12.5 EER, ≥ 8.6 HSPF|
|Geothermal Heat Pump||≥ 17.1 EER and ≥ 3.6 COP|
*Limit three per household.
**SEER = Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating: A rating that denotes the efficiency of air conditioning equipment. The higher the SEER, the more efficient the unit and the lower the operating cost.
†EER = Energy Efficiency Rating: The ratio of an air conditioning unit’s cooling capacity in British thermal units (Btus) per hour to the total electrical input in watts.
‡HSPF = Heating Seasonal Performance Factor: The total heating output of a heat pump in Btus during its normal usage period for heating, as divided by the total electrical energy input in watt-hours during the same period.
§COP = Coefficient of Performance: A ratio that measures the efficiency of a heat pump. The higher the number, the more efficient the heat pump.
Tips for Saving on Heating and Cooling:
- Maintain your HVAC systems with routine maintenance throughout the year. Our authorized contractors can help you set a maintenance schedule.
- Add insulation to keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Install and use a programmable thermostat.
- Choose ENERGY STAR® certified models when it is time to replace your equipment.
Get answers by calling 1-877-818-4094.
Jumpstart Your Savings:
As a residential SMECO member, you can order a complimentary energy-saving kit that includes six LEDs and an efficient-flow showerhead. Claim yours today.
EmPOWER Maryland programs are funded by a charge on your energy bill. EmPOWER programs can help you reduce your energy consumption and save you money. Learn more about EmPOWER and how you can participate.
Source: ENERGY STAR