Heating and cooling may account for as much as half of your home’s energy use. SMECO offers rebates up to $1,620* on equipment and services to improve the efficiency of your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system.
*Due to the success of SMECO’s Residential Heating and Cooling Rebate Program, the allocated incentive budget for the program has currently been exhausted. Any new applications submitted to the Program will be paid on a first-come, first-served basis should additional funds become available. Please contact your Contractor, or our Call Center at 1-877-818-4094 with any additional questions or concerns.
- Applications that have already received a payment approval email will not be affected.
- Applications submitted on or before October 28, 2016 will be processed; upon approval, rebates will be disbursed if funds become available.
- Applications submitted after October 28, 2016 will be processed; upon approval, rebates will be put on hold and not disbursed unless additional funding becomes available.
Questions? Please contact your Contractor or our Call Center at 1-877-818-4094.
To get your HVAC rebates:
- Contact a participating HVAC contractor
- Work with your contractor to identify the energy efficient HVAC system that works for your home.
- Choose your upgrades and have your contractor perform the installations.
- Have your contractor submit your rebate application for you.
- Get cash back up to $1,620!
Ways to save up to $1,620 on new high-efficiency HVAC equipment:
|Equipment (AHRI Rated)||Efficiency Level||Rebate Amount|
|ASHP Tier 1||≥ 16 SEER, ≥ 13 EER, ≥ 9 HSPF||$675|
|ASHP Tier 2||≥ 18 SEER, ≥ 13 EER, ≥ 9.5 HSPF||$1,125|
|CAC Tier 1||≥ 16 SEER and ≥ 13 EER||$450|
|CAC Tier 2||≥ 18 SEER and ≥ 13 EER||$900|
|Ductless Mini Split ASHP Tier 1||≥ 14.5 SEER, ≥ 12 EER, ≥ 8.2 HSPF||$180|
|Ductless Mini Split ASHP Tier 2||≥ 18 SEER, ≥ 12.5 EER, ≥ 9.0 HSPF||$360|
|Multi-Zone Ductless Mini Split ASHP||≥ 15.5 SEER, ≥ 12.5 EER, ≥ 8.6 HSPF||$540|
|Geothermal Heat Pump||≥ 17.1 EER and ≥ 3.6 COP||$1,620|
SEER = Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating – A rating that denotes the efficiency of air conditioning equipment. The higher the SEER, the more efficient the unit and the lower the operating cost. EER = Energy Efficiency Rating – The ratio of an air conditioning unit’s cooling capacity in British Thermal Units (BTUs) per hour to the total electrical input in watts. HSPF = Heating Seasonal Performance Factor – The total heating output of a heat pump in BTUs during its normal usage period for heating, as divided by the total electrical energy input in watt-hours during the same period. COP = Coefficient of Performance – A ratio that measures the efficiency of a heat pump. The higher the number, the more efficient the heat pump.
Rebate Brochure (PDF)
Get more information (PDF) about HVAC rebates and find tips for purchasing high-efficiency heating and cooling systems.
Tips for Saving on Heating and Cooling:
- Maintain your HVAC systems with routine maintenance throughout the year.
- Add insulation to keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Install and use a programmable thermostat.
- Choose ENERGY STAR® certified models when it is time to replace your equipment.
Source: ENERGY STAR
For questions or more information about the Heating and Cooling program, please call 1-877-818-4094.
This program supports EmPOWER Maryland.
HVAC contractors who wish to participate in the rebate program can download applications and other information.