Appliances help you keep your home running smoothly. But they also use a lot of energy. To help you save energy and save money, SMECO offers $50–$500 rebates when you purchase select ENERGY STAR® certified appliances.
Getting your rebate is easy!
- Review the program terms and conditions listed in the applicable rebate forms below.
- Buy a qualified appliance from any Maryland retailer (or participating contractor for hybrid heat pump water heaters and pool pumps).
If you purchase your appliance online, you must pay the Maryland Sales and Use Tax to be eligible to receive your rebate. If the retailer did not include sales tax on the transaction, you can go to the Comptroller of Maryland website for more information.
- Either submit your rebate online or print, complete, and then mail in the rebate form with the product’s proof of purchase (or if you have purchased a hybrid heat pump water heater or pool pump through a participating contractor they can electronically submit the rebate on your behalf). See rebate forms for eligibility requirements.
A new household appliance is a big investment. Learn more about important product safety information and potential recalls prior to making your purchase.
Smart Thermostat - $100 Rebate - NEW!
Get a $100 rebate when you purchase a qualifying ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat.
Clothes Washer - $75-$100 Rebate
In the link above, Tier 2 models listed qualify for $75 rebate.
In the link above, Tier 3 models listed qualify for $100 rebate.
Electric Clothes Dryer - $50 Rebate
Get a $50 rebate when you purchase a qualifying ENERGY STAR certified electric clothes dryer.
Refrigerator - $100-$150 Rebate
In the link above, Tier 2 models listed qualify for $100 rebate.
In the link above, Tier 3 models listed qualify for $150 rebate.
Refrigerators must be larger than 10 cubic feet to qualify for a rebate.
Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heaters and Pool Pumps – Rebate Changes:
New requirements effective July 1, 2018
Instead of having to wait for paperwork to be processed before you get your rebate, your SMECO rebate will work more like an instant discount—it will be issued immediately and taken off the cost of your equipment at the time of purchase. These updates will make it faster for you to get rebates for qualifying energy-efficient equipment.
For appliances purchased on or before September 30, 2018
You or your contractor will have up to 30 days to submit your rebate application for processing. All rebate applications for hybrid heat pump water heaters and pool pumps must be received by October 31, 2018.
Have questions? Contact your participating contractor or call 1-877-818-4094.
Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater - $500 Rebate
Qualifying models that hold 55 gallons or less must have an energy factor of 2.0 or higher, while units larger than 55 gallons must have an energy factor of 2.2 or above.
Two Ways to Get Your Rebate
Pool Pumps - $150-$400 Rebate
In the link above, click on “Multi-speed” in the left toolbar to find models eligible for the $150 rebate.
In the link above, click on “Variable-speed” in the left toolbar to find models eligible for the $400 rebate.
(Note that single-speed pool pumps are not eligible for rebates.)
Two Ways to Get Your Rebate
Special Information for Renters and Landlords: Learn how to participate.
Why Choose ENERGY STAR Appliances?
- ENERGY STAR certified clothes washers use about 20% less energy and 35% less water than regular washers.
- ENERGY STAR certified dryers use about 20% less energy than conventional models without sacrificing features or performance. They do this using innovative energy saving technologies, such as moisture sensors that detect when clothes are dry and automatically shut the dryer off.
- ENERGY STAR certified hybrid water heaters can save the average household almost $300 per year in energy costs compared to a standard electric water heater.
- ENERGY STAR certified pool pumps use 70% less energy than standard pool pumps and on average can save you over $300 per year.
Source: ENERGY STAR
Energy cost savings are estimates only and may vary by usage and current rates. Check out your potential savings with ENERGY STAR’s Appliance Savings Calculator.
EmPOWER Maryland programs are funded by a charge on your energy bill. EmPOWER programs can help you reduce your energy consumption and save you money. Learn more about EmPOWER and how you can participate.