Keep the holidays safe
SMECO wants you to have a safe and happy time throughout the holiday season. From Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day, please
keep safety in mind.
Here are a few simple tips to remember.
Be safe while cooking
- When baking a turkey, stay in the home and check on it frequently.
- When cooking on the stovetop, stay in the kitchen and keep an eye on the food.
Around the house
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
- Make sure the tree does not block foot traffic or doorways.
- Avoid using candles; they are a primary cause of house fires during the holidays.
- Never nail, tack, or stress wiring when hanging lights; keep plugs off the ground away from puddles and snow.
Take care with children and pets
- In homes with small children and pets, take special care to avoid sharp or breakable decorations.
Decoration safety is key
- Use only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials to trim a tree.
- For a live tree, make sure it always has an adequate amount of water, and keep it away from any heat source.
- For an artificial tree, choose one that is tested and labeled as fire resistant. Artificial trees with built-in electrical systems should have the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) label.
- Use no more than three light sets on any one extension cord. Extension cords should be placed against the wall to avoid tripping hazards.
- Don’t use frayed or damaged electric cords, and never use electric lights on a metallic tree.
- Turn off all holiday lights when you go to bed or leave the house.