volume 67 - issue 9 - September 2017
Prepare your home for cold days ahead
Take advantage of cooler temperatures to get your house ready for the cold months coming. Little changes can make a big difference in the comfort and energy efficiency of your home.
• Weatherize doors and windows with caulking and weather stripping to prevent cold air from entering your home. Use locks on your windows to make them tighter and draft resistant.
• Have your HVAC equipment serviced professionally at least once a year.
• Make sure ductwork is sealed and insulated.
• Keep the area around the outdoor unit of your heat pump clear by removing leaves or snow that can build up and impede the airflow.
• Change your air filter regularly, at least every three months, preferably monthly.
• Install a programmable thermostat.
Small changes add up and every effort made to save energy and save money counts. Make sure to keep lights and appliances turned off when not in use.
If you aren't sure what your house might need, you can sign up for a Quick Home Energy Check-up at no added cost to you. A Check-up professional will perform a one-hour walk-through of your home and provide a summary of important findings, recommended improvements, and opportunities to reduce your energy use and costs.
Find more ways to save energy and save money at smeco.coop/save.